Today it was official...James is no longer a Captain in the US Army. Today he received his Honorable Discharge in the mail....AGAIN (this is actually the 2nd one he has gotten).
To be honest, I have mixed feelings about it. A few weeks ago when the time had come for him to submit the paperwork to resign his commission, I kept asking, "Are you REALLY sure?". I mean he worked SO hard for SO long to get his commission, and even harder during his time as an officer. He repeatedly assured me that he was sure. He has told me many times that he feels like he has done what he wanted to do in/with his time in the Army. I suppose I feel like we are closing a chapter in our lives, even though we haven't lived the "Army Lifestyle" (with the exception of that 2nd deployment) for several years now.
The Army has been such a blessing to us in so many ways. Eight years ago, when we were engaged and graduating college, we were such different people, and had no idea what was in store for us. I feel like the military really taught us both what it is like to stand on your own two feet. And there are so many things I am going to miss about the Army. I guess its just like anything else in life, things do change, but its what you make of it. So here we are again beginning a new era of our lives, but we are going to do it much the same as we have in every new stage of life, whether that was graduating high school, going away to college, getting married, moving across the continent (and back again), surviving years of separation, or leaving the military. We will do it together.
So for the second time my wonderful husband is an Honorably Discharged Veteran of the US Army. Does that mean he is twice as honorable as the first time around? As far as I am concerned......ABSOLUTELY! And I could not be prouder to be his wife!

Oh I absolutely agree, I think this makes him twice as Honorable!!
ReplyDeleteEnjoy the Journey into this new chapter, I bet it will be absolutely Wonderful!!
I agree! Glad he is now home for good!
ReplyDeleteTell him we are proud of him ... I mean looking back at the pranks our boys pulled when they were in college, "honorable discharge" was looking a little shaky! :)
ReplyDeleteA new adventure sounds like just the thing for you guys. After being away so long, I'm sure both families are happy to have you within arms reach, and now it's easier for us to get together since we're the only one moving now. If you start missing the Army life, come on down and I'll share some of mine with you ... and the lil Monkey would love some attention from Aunt Lissa!